One more recipe before Christmas... This is a classic one and is actually around most of the year, you can go into bakeries and pick these up.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of soft, unsalted butter
- 2/3 (5 oz) cup of sugar
- 1 Tsp of grated lemon rind
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 and 1/4 cups (18 oz) of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) or raspberry, strawberry or red currant jelly
- 1/4 (2 oz) of powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven for 325 F
- In a big bowl, mix in the butter, sugar, lemon grind, vanilla extract and egg yolks.
- Slowly mix in the 1 and 3/4 cups of flour
- Work the mixture into a dough and place it in the fridge for about 2 hours (or overnight)
- Pull the dough out of the fridge and let it stand in the room temperature for a while until it is workable (about 1 hour)
- The hardest part: Roll out the dough onto a floured surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick (coat the pin with flour as well; as you are rolling out the dough, keep sprinkling it with a little bit of flour at the time to prevent sticking)
- Use cookie cutters (circle-shaped ones are the most authentic) to cut out the cookies and in half of them cut out a smaller circle in the center.
- Transfer the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet (use spatula for the transfer if necessary) and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes (see step 1 below)
- Once the cookies have cooled down spread half o them with jelly (see Step 2 below)
- Sprinkle the cookies “holed” cookies (i.e. cookies with holes) with with powdered sugar
- Put those powdered cookies on top of the jellied cookies